Editor’s note: The original version of this post appeared Saturday, March 24th on Medium.com. It marks an expansion of topics covered by 3 Score & More to include those which resonate and are part of our larger societal conversations. I look forward to your thoughts and reactions. – Jane
Dear Young Activists,
Please, please don’t give up. Don’t give in. And by all means, vote in every election, local through federal, at every opportunity, for the rest of your lives.
You are saving our nation, our sense of decency and our sense of societal responsibility. Undoubtedly you are saving lives.
Saturday, March 24th was the national no, international, March For Our Lives. Driven by outrage, fear, empathy, the protests represent a commitment to finally, irrevocably, change the storyline.
Emma Gonzalez’s moving speech (or lack of it) was simply riveting.
It redefined what 6 minutes mean. Actions speak louder than words.
No Small Impact
– You are calling it what it is. Gun violence in our schools and communities.
– You are insisting on changes to our laws to eliminate easy access to militarized weapons, tarted up for consumer use.
– You are respectful of the Second Amendment, important to many and foundational to our national identity.
– You have reframed the argument from an attack on our “rights” to an attack on our lives. All of our lives. You have changed the conversation.
– You have put the key issue — gun violence — squarely in your sights, to use an unfortunate metaphor. Bravo. And thank you.
Thanks to the #Parkland students who have admirably, bravely and coherently led the charge in the wake of unspeakable tragedy.
They have awakened and empowered their generation, and today we see a groundswell of unwavering support. And action.
The power of the ballot box
You have, or will soon have, the power of the ballot box. It’s something my generation didn’t have at the height of the Vietnam War protests in 1968.
Would the 1968 election turned out differently if the voting age had been 18, not 21? We’ll never know.
As a result, we had the draft. You have the right to vote. Use it. It’s a powerful weapon.
From one Boomer, thank you from the bottom of my heart.
Copyright 2018 Jane Trombley All rights reserved.